Programs : Brochure
- Program Terms: Summer
NOTE: This is the description page for the Wyatt Family Summer Scholarships for Spanish Majors, which is included in the Education Abroad Scholarship Application, our common application for multiple awards. Please select the link below to apply for this scholarship using the common application. You do not need to designate which awards you wish to be considered for in the Education Abroad Scholarship Application; you will be considered for any for which you are qualified.
Wyatt Family Summer Scholarships for Spanish Majors
The Department of Spanish, Italian and Portuguese invite applications for the Wyatt Family Summer Scholarships for Spanish Majors intended for students in the early stages of the major to study abroad during the summer to improve their language skills. These scholarships seek to encourage students to have a total immersion experience immediately after declaring their major—normally rising second or third years—so they can improve their language skills early on and come back better prepared to complete their upper level courses for the major here on grounds.
Students are encouraged to attend our two established UVA summer Spanish programs in Costa Rica and Valencia, but may go to any approved program. Preference may be given to students who have not been abroad before.
Scholarship award amounts range from $2000 to $3000 and depend upon the qualifications of the applicant pool.
- Be a currently enrolled undergraduate student with a declared major in Spanish
- Have a minimum 3.5 GPA in Spanish
- Participate in a credit bearing education abroad program for a summer
- Submit a complete UVA Education Abroad Application
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Maintain good academic and disciplinary standing
- Scholarship recipients will take primarily 3000-level courses while abroad
- Share your experience with the UVA community through writing, photography, or video
- Complete the Education Abroad Scholarship Application.